WHAT MAKES A GOOD HUNTING KNIFE: 8 THINGS TO KNOW
A hunting knife is a vital tool for outdoor activities. This knife is perfect for hunting as well as for cutting bushes and skinning animals. Hunting knife is also used for self-defence in the jungle. So you can see that hunting knives are important tools you should take along when going on hunting expeditions and doing other outdoor activities. But, how do you know a good hunting knife? Where can you get it? Continue reading to get comprehensive answers to these questions.
Features of a Good Hunting Knife
Before buying a hunting knife, ensure you consider the features below. This is because a good hunting knife poses to be an investment. Buy a good hunting knife, and you wouldn’t have to change them frequently.
- Built Quality: Today, there are different varieties of knives in the market. However, not all of them are of quality build. Many manufacturers add additives to materials used in producing the knives to reduce production costs. This, in turn, reduces the durability and quality of the knife.
With good built quality, your knife will have the perfect feel, look and construction. So, when deciding on the knife to buy, do not compromise quality because of cost.
- Material: Two materials are commonly used in making knives: Stainless steel and carbon steel. Carbon steel is the best hunting knife steel. It is very durable and strong. But the disadvantage of this steel is that it is very prone to rust. So ensure you get a carbon steel hunting knife with stainless coating.
- Sharpness: What is the usefulness of a hunting knife that is not sharp? You need a knife that is sharp enough to cut through any and everything in the jungle. A quality carbon steel hunting knife is sharper than the stainless types, so ensure you get one of them.
- Blade Thickness: The thickness of a blade is unimportant if you use the knife for kitchen activities. But, it is an essential feature for hunting knives. This is one of the first features to watch out for when searching for the perfect hunting knife. The blade’s thickness directly affects the knife’s strength.
Photo: Global Gear
- Design: Different manufacturers have different designs unique to their knives. The common design styles include trailing point, clip point and drop point. The curve knife is also a good hunting knife. The designs of hunting knives depend on their uses.
- Portability: Portability is vital when choosing a hunting knife. Ensure you get a very portable knife. There are numerous hunting knife designs, but not all are portable. A portable knife can easily fit into your pocket. It weighs less too. This hunting knife feature makes a lot of sense to hunters who carry many tools like a sniper, compound bow, etc.
- Additional Tools: Your hunting knife can be used for several purposes other than hunting when you are in the jungle. A good hunting knife must have additional tools like a seat-belt cutter, a magnesium fire starter, axes and a saw. The other tools are as important in the wild as the hunting knife.
- Folding vs Fixed Blade: The first decision you have to make when getting a knife is to choose whether to go for a fixed knife or a foldable one. Fixed knives are more reliable and stronger than foldable ones, but you need to wear them in a sheath. That is why people prefer foldable ones.